Monday, May 11, 2009

B-Wing Helmet continues

I visited my friend Betsy last night, then put in a few hours work with the lasers, and on my B-Wing helmet. I saw a rat in the shop office. It's a historic building in downtown Baltimore, so the rats have been there longer than I have, but I'd rather they keep out of sight.

Here are some helmet progress pictures:










I've replaced the side pieces with a shape that's a little more elongated. The few reference photos I have suggest that there are at least two versions of this helmet that were made for the movie. The best reference photos show the helmet on an alien pilot, whose head is rather different from the average human being.






















I've sanded down most of the sharp edges, and am shaping the back to something more like a sphere-segment than a layer cake. I imagine that finishing this will be a lot more work than beginning it.






















I am enjoying working with this styrofoam. It's very lightweight, easy to cut and sand, and surprisingly tough. I will have to be careful how I paint it, though, as many paints contain solvents which will dissolve styrofoam.



No comments: